In between dog parks and carousels, C and I have been traveling Arlington and its environs visiting Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Whole Foods etc…to stock up on things for the apartment. In the course of doing this I have mentally started a list of “I wish we had…” related to our pack out. So here, in no particular order, in case you ever have to packout yourselves, are my current wish list:* (* subject to change on a moment to moment basis)
- I wish I’d brought a queen sized mattress pad, sheets, our own pillows and our duvet. It’s been many years since I lived in corporate housing as a law student and in those days the digs seemed awesome and palatial. Twenty odd years later the digs seem a bit dirty and less awesome (but I’m not complaining given that they are free digs!). It would be nice (and feel slightly less yucky) to be sleeping on our own sheets. Luckily I did bring C’s sheets, duvet, pillow and lots of things to remind her of home, so it is less yucky in her room.
- I wish I’d brought tupperware. Not a ton of it, but the corporate housing provided tupperware consists of two small pieces. That is not going to cut it at our house.
- I wish I’d brought more art/photographs – nothing makes an apartment a home more than your own photos and artwork. I brought a few things, but I wish I’d brought more.
- I wish I’d brought a couple of bowls. I ended up buying two nice big deep cereal-type bowls from BB&B today (for $1.98 each on clearance, so I’m not feeling too upset, but everything you buy that you can picture in a box somewhere in Hagerstown, MD is annoying…). The bowls provided are these incredibly shallow, rimmed bowls. The kind I picture Lady Edith using to eat her 4 spoonfuls of soup at Downton Abbey during a 15 course meal. Let’s just say, in 2014 when the meal is ALL supposed to fit in one bowl, these bowls are not cutting it.
- I wish I’d saved some more of the “staples” that I threw away. I have to tell you I don’t need half the clothes or office supplies I brought, but the leftover bottle of olive oil would have been a welcome sight yesterday.
- I wish I’d brought a bookcase. Just a little one – the one from C’s room would have done nicely. There is nowhere to put books in the apartment. We didn’t bring a ton of books, but we brought some AND I’m supposed to be working from here, so my rule books (the books I basically live by as a litigator), my dictionary, my binders for my cases etc…, are all under the desk. Not ideal. We’ll no doubt be making a trip to IKEA for that, but again, see note above about having to annoyingly buy things you already own.
- I wish I’d brought more skirt hangers – if you ever move into corporate housing bring hangers! Particularly any “speciality” hangers. My skirts are all doubled up right now, but I suspect ultimately I’ll be buying some more of these hangers while picturing the ones we left behind in my head.
- I wish I’d brought a couple of our own throw pillows. See bullet number one about kind of yucky linens and switch to pillows on the couch.
By the way, B’s first couple of days went really well – he came home with a ridiculously detailed schedule yesterday so that makes my control/detail oriented mind happy. Somehow he managed to accept the job of chairing his class “Folly” skit (that is put on during the “offsite” somewhere in PA). It’s kind of bizarre to watch him get comfortable in this new life, but it’s kind of cool too.
And in case you care, here are a few other pictures of our new home.